Week 9: So much to do, so little time, so much fun
This week saw some impressive progress in the game overall, if you ask me. I finally got around to adding some much-needed sound effects to the player’s abilities. Alongside some UI improvements, camera shake and zoom, the added audio feedback has made the weapons systems feel really good to play. There’re already a few changes I want to make, but the combat changes this week make a big difference. On top of that, I finally put together a detailed plan for the boss fight, so I’m feeling a lot more confident about that part of the game with a detailed plan to work from. It even has working seeker missiles!
I surprised myself by how much I was able to get done. I was expecting to get the audio done, but I didn’t think I’d have a solid design together for the boss until next week. I still worry about getting everything we have planned done on time, but I’m pretty confident we can do it!
We’re all clearly putting a lot of work into the project, especially now that Nick R. has more stuff from other classes out of the way, so he can focus on refining the enemy AI. Sean did the art for our current two enemy types all this week, and Nick O. has even gone beyond his producer duties to do some graphic design for our presentations! The team is continuing to work great together. With only a couple weeks left, I’m planning to give it my all and try to make the game as good as I can in the time remaining. I feel responsible for a large part of our success in building the game so far, having done most of the gameplay programming and design, and I want to take that as far as I can to try and make this project the best capstone game of this year! I’m very motivated by positive feedback, so the team’s success this week has gotten me excited to do my best.
Next week Nick & Sean are finally getting the inverse kinematics procedural animation in on the spiders legs, so this time next week it should be clambering over everything, looking more spider-like than ever. I’ll be working on getting the boss fight working. I have a well-defined list of mechanics for it, so I should be able to create each one of them independently, and then turn it over to Nick R. to program how it’ll decide what to do when. Aside from that I’ll be working on a re-done level design, with a place to show off the boss to the player before they have a chance to fight it, as well as making sure they understand all its mechanics from other parts of the level before the fight.